Friends of the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail, Inc. purchased the Pumpkinvine railroad corridor in 1993 and donated the land to local park departments when design and engineering were ready for trail construction. You can see on on the Trail Availability page of this website that trail construction will be completed in 2013.
While Friends were working on their vision of building the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail, Goshen Parks was building the Maple City Greenway and Elkhart County built the MapleHeart Trail. These projects will connect Elkhart, Goshen, Middlebury and Shipshewana with about 25 miles of trail within a couple years, greatly exceeding Friends original dreams in 1993.
These accomplishments do not finish Friends' work. We are currently engaged in the following activities:
- We organize volunteers to assist with trail monitoring and maintenance.
- We share the costs of fencing 50/50 with neighbors.
- We need to buy several hundred feet of land to complete a section of the corridor with a blind end.
- We print brochures and maintain this website, a Facebook page and a blog to inform the public about our trails.
- We organize the annual Pumpkinvine Bike Ride.
- We have exhibits at special events and give presentations to interested organizations to promote trail use.
- We support enhancement projects, such as planting native grasses and flowers to impove the experience of trail users.
Trails are a wonderful asset to our community. They do not happen without public support. Your donations help us maintain and expand them
|Friends annual memberships|
Snail mail to:
Friends of the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail, Inc.
P.O. Box 392
Goshen, IN 46527
Email to: Friends of the Pumpkinvine